Skip to main content

A letter to my daughters

To my girls,

Today, in the car we were singing to the radio together. Eliana, your off key exuberance belted out "You are beautiful, just the way you are" with full passion and ultimate trust that the song was about you. I love that.

I watch you and Addilyn put on princess dresses, while I try not to cringe, you dance with your invisible prince with whom you fall in love. I hope one day you will find a prince that steals your heart with his kindness and love. I hope that you will always believe that a kiss is so special it means love and that you never give them away cheaply. I hope you wear undies under your real princess dresses unlike your dress up clothes. I hope so much for your heart and your beauty.

Girls, there will be days when you feel everything but beautiful. On the outside you will feel like your body is the wrong shape and size and on the inside you will feel like you have more questions than answers. I would love to tell you that "this is just a phase" but I have yet to grow out of it in my 30 years. But you will make peace with it. I pray you learn that real beauty isn't found in things that sparkle and dresses that twirl but in a beautiful spirit full of kindness and a heart filled with love. As you get older, my desire for you is that you learn that ugly is a state of mind, not a state of appearance, that you will treat all of God's people with respect, no matter the appearance.

Eliana, the outfits you choose are...very colorful. While I sometimes shake my head at your fashion sense, I hope you always will have the courage to wear what makes you feel beautiful. Addilyn, I hope you one day view under clothing as something that you should at least wear when wearing dresses. Annabelle, I hope you always love to dance naked...in the privacy of your own room. Girls, may you always find your belly buttons to be hilarious and never feel the need to pierce them. My you always embrace with love the jiggly thighs and soft belly you have, know God made women to be soft.

I hope, my sweet daughters, that you will always sing at the top of your lungs, even if it means cracking mirrors. And in the wise words of Bruno Mars, may your lyrics of life all ways ring out "you are beautiful, just the way you are"

All of my love, your Mommy

Comments

So sweet! Love it!
Jennifer McHam said…
oh! snif sniff snifff. Love!!!!
Rosfeld Family said…
Every girl needs mommy to write a letter like this. Beautiful!
Kari Marie said…
That was very lovely! You are quite poetic my dear friend! Your girls are lucky to have a mother who sees beyond the surface and pushes for character and not adoration!

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my Domestic Goddess Badge

I looked at the to-do list I made last week and am happy to say I can cross off almost everything on it. It only took me 2 weeks. I think I either need smaller lists or more time. Here is what I have been up to: -I have made 2 loaves of banana oat bread, 1 batch of blackberry strawberry freezer jam, 1 loaf of gluten free bread. -From 12 juiced grapefruit I made grapefruit curd and a pan of grapefruit bars. -My garden is almost completely done, including a upgrade in size. I am growing tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower , herbs, lettuce, spinach , green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. -I hung herbs to dry -I have folded massive amounts of laundry...with more yet to do. All washed with my homemade laundry soap. -I recovered the "green monster" which is another post entirely. -I added a sitting area in my bedroom, where I am currently sitting, so that my laptop has a home other than the kitchen table. - I got a new dining room table a...

Blogging

So I have lost the love of blogging. I have always believed it is a narcissistic pass time, yet enjoy it anyway. I have found I easily spend entirely too much time tied to my computer. By the time I check Facebook , e-mail, friends blogs, etc I can easily waste an hour, if not two, of time. A friend of mine just blogged about the same thing. Yes, I get the irony of a blog post about not blog posting, but alas, here it is: I just read a good friends blog about my blog. A great leader here in Boulder, Kevin Colon wrote this: “Hugh moved to Denver to do a training deal for an organization and he ended up starting a church. His blogging is not incredibly frequent but when he does blog….it’s good!” Now, while I’m humbled that a man like Kevin would even want to read my blog, I figured it was a good time to state once and for all why I only post once or twice a month. Simply this……..”I prefer to spend my time with people.” I’ ve always wondered how people have time to read blogs, let alo...

A little help

We have two really cute costumes for Addilyn . Which one should she wear for Halloween ? Let me know because Matt and I can't decide. A Bumble Bee A skunk