Skip to main content

GF on the Cheap

If you can eat "normal" food, feel free to skip this post...and go eat a donut in celebration.

We are now all gluten free at our house. Sad day. Or maybe not. Matt has found he feels 10 times better when he avoids wheat, Annabelle is a much happier little person and my other girls don't have belly aches. Oh, and now I won't be dying at a young age of cancer. So I suppose it could be worse than having to be gluten free. It is, however, brutal on the food budget.

Several years ago I discovered Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix. It rocks. From this magic I can make cookies, muffins, pancake and waffles in a jiffy. Oh happy day!! Except it costs $15 for a bag that we can kill in about 2 weeks. Oy.

Back to the drawing board. Through the combined knowledge of gluten free cheap-skates such as myself, I have come up with this recipe for a DIY Pam's mix. It is awesome. Cheaper than buying it, I make a double batch and keep it in a Tupperware. For pancakes, mix one cup of the mix with an egg and 3/4 cup of milk.

1 cups Brown Rice Flour,
1 cups White Rice Flour, 
1 cup Natural Almond Meal or ground flax (may appear as brown flecks), 
3/4  cup Tapioca Starch, 
3/4  cup Sweet Rice Flour or oat flour
1  cup Potato Starch 
3 Tablespoons  baking powder
2 Tablespoon Baking Soda, 
1 tablespoon Sea Salt, 
1 tablespoon Xanthan Gum. 


I use this for everything I used Pam's for and it has never let me down. Bring on the muffins and coffee cake! Bring on the chocolate chip cookies and corn bread! Bring on the bigger pant size!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my Domestic Goddess Badge

I looked at the to-do list I made last week and am happy to say I can cross off almost everything on it. It only took me 2 weeks. I think I either need smaller lists or more time. Here is what I have been up to: -I have made 2 loaves of banana oat bread, 1 batch of blackberry strawberry freezer jam, 1 loaf of gluten free bread. -From 12 juiced grapefruit I made grapefruit curd and a pan of grapefruit bars. -My garden is almost completely done, including a upgrade in size. I am growing tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower , herbs, lettuce, spinach , green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. -I hung herbs to dry -I have folded massive amounts of laundry...with more yet to do. All washed with my homemade laundry soap. -I recovered the "green monster" which is another post entirely. -I added a sitting area in my bedroom, where I am currently sitting, so that my laptop has a home other than the kitchen table. - I got a new dining room table a...

Blogging

So I have lost the love of blogging. I have always believed it is a narcissistic pass time, yet enjoy it anyway. I have found I easily spend entirely too much time tied to my computer. By the time I check Facebook , e-mail, friends blogs, etc I can easily waste an hour, if not two, of time. A friend of mine just blogged about the same thing. Yes, I get the irony of a blog post about not blog posting, but alas, here it is: I just read a good friends blog about my blog. A great leader here in Boulder, Kevin Colon wrote this: “Hugh moved to Denver to do a training deal for an organization and he ended up starting a church. His blogging is not incredibly frequent but when he does blog….it’s good!” Now, while I’m humbled that a man like Kevin would even want to read my blog, I figured it was a good time to state once and for all why I only post once or twice a month. Simply this……..”I prefer to spend my time with people.” I’ ve always wondered how people have time to read blogs, let alo...

A little help

We have two really cute costumes for Addilyn . Which one should she wear for Halloween ? Let me know because Matt and I can't decide. A Bumble Bee A skunk