Skip to main content

Frugal Fashion: Part 3- The Shopping

So off I went to my favorite store, Goodwill. Yes, i know it seems like an oxymoron to shop for in style clothing at a resale store, but hey, this chica is on a budget! I had about $50 or so to spend. In hindsight (which they say is 20/20) I should have gone on half off day (which is this Saturday, if anyone cares) but I digress. After about an hour of shopping and trying some stuff on, I ended up with the following:

pair of pinstriped gray capri length pants
short jean skirt
knee length jean skirt
red empire waist shirt
mens vest
ballet flats (new, with tags)
leather jacket (from Wilsons, for $8!)
belt
scarf
silk blouse
funky blue t-shirt

I also had $75 in Gap giftcards from my wonderful husband. I went and put those to good use on the clearance rack and came up with this:

brown pair of cords
pink sweater
pink waffle knit top
white button down with ruffles
white and red striped shirt with ruffles
thin gold belt

I brought all this home and once again scoured my closet. I found a pair of Old Navy jean in my size with the tags still on. I have no memory of buying those, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I laid everything out. I tried everything on. I mixed and matched and this is some of what I came up with

New shoes, skirt and top. Old leggings and sweater


New top and vest, old scarf and jeans
Not sure if I love this outfit, I sorta think I look like Captain Jack Sparrow. New pants, shirt, and scarf. Old boots.

Why am I only wearing one shoe? I don't know where the other one is...duh. New skirt and shirt, old tights and shoe (s)

Over the modeling thing. Here are some other combos I came up with. A mix of old and new.






And there you have it. I now have a big pile of clothing waiting for a new owner. I will donate it to Adullam's closet and maybe cut some of it up to create new things for my kids. Tomorrow will be the last post in this series, a reflection on this whole fashion thing. Hope your feeling inspired to go through your closet!

Comments

Jennifer McHam said…
You rock!!! I am WAY impressed! You can dress me when you come visit - in just ONE MONTH! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
I love it! Thanks for sharing your cute (and affordable) ideas! It is inspiring....as soon as I'm out of maternity clothes again, I will review your post. Unless you do another series in about 6 months! :)
Kari said…
You're so freakin' cute and gorgeous (sheesh Gretch, you are so photogenic). Love the outfits...

You know what this means, right? GNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
song said…
I have to agree with Kari with how photogenic you are. I love how you researched and made a list of what you needed and then scored a ton of outfits.

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my Domestic Goddess Badge

I looked at the to-do list I made last week and am happy to say I can cross off almost everything on it. It only took me 2 weeks. I think I either need smaller lists or more time. Here is what I have been up to: -I have made 2 loaves of banana oat bread, 1 batch of blackberry strawberry freezer jam, 1 loaf of gluten free bread. -From 12 juiced grapefruit I made grapefruit curd and a pan of grapefruit bars. -My garden is almost completely done, including a upgrade in size. I am growing tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower , herbs, lettuce, spinach , green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. -I hung herbs to dry -I have folded massive amounts of laundry...with more yet to do. All washed with my homemade laundry soap. -I recovered the "green monster" which is another post entirely. -I added a sitting area in my bedroom, where I am currently sitting, so that my laptop has a home other than the kitchen table. - I got a new dining room table a...

Blogging

So I have lost the love of blogging. I have always believed it is a narcissistic pass time, yet enjoy it anyway. I have found I easily spend entirely too much time tied to my computer. By the time I check Facebook , e-mail, friends blogs, etc I can easily waste an hour, if not two, of time. A friend of mine just blogged about the same thing. Yes, I get the irony of a blog post about not blog posting, but alas, here it is: I just read a good friends blog about my blog. A great leader here in Boulder, Kevin Colon wrote this: “Hugh moved to Denver to do a training deal for an organization and he ended up starting a church. His blogging is not incredibly frequent but when he does blog….it’s good!” Now, while I’m humbled that a man like Kevin would even want to read my blog, I figured it was a good time to state once and for all why I only post once or twice a month. Simply this……..”I prefer to spend my time with people.” I’ ve always wondered how people have time to read blogs, let alo...

A little help

We have two really cute costumes for Addilyn . Which one should she wear for Halloween ? Let me know because Matt and I can't decide. A Bumble Bee A skunk