Skip to main content

Meatless Meals

On our menu each week I try to include at least one meatless meal. This both helps us stay in budget and pushes us out of our chicken/beef/pork/pasta rut. Here is my current favorite. It whips up in about 15 minutes and is healthy, filling and yummy.
Araepas
Mix one cup of hot water with one cup of MeSaCa (find in the Hispanic part of your store, it is in a white bag)salt and mix. Let set until cool enough to handle. Shape into patties about the size and thickness of your palm. Fry up in oil, flipping when lightly browned. Cool slightly, slice length wise and stuff with cheese.
Huveo's Rancheros
Open and rinse a can of black beans, mix with half a cup of your favorite salsa and dump into a skillet. Heat until bubbling. Make a 4 "wells" in the beans and crack eggs into them. Salt and pepper the eggs and cover the skillet. Cook until eggs are as done as you like them (we are an over-easy family)
Serve the above with a green salad. If your feeding more than 2 you will need to double.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my Domestic Goddess Badge

I looked at the to-do list I made last week and am happy to say I can cross off almost everything on it. It only took me 2 weeks. I think I either need smaller lists or more time. Here is what I have been up to: -I have made 2 loaves of banana oat bread, 1 batch of blackberry strawberry freezer jam, 1 loaf of gluten free bread. -From 12 juiced grapefruit I made grapefruit curd and a pan of grapefruit bars. -My garden is almost completely done, including a upgrade in size. I am growing tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower , herbs, lettuce, spinach , green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. -I hung herbs to dry -I have folded massive amounts of laundry...with more yet to do. All washed with my homemade laundry soap. -I recovered the "green monster" which is another post entirely. -I added a sitting area in my bedroom, where I am currently sitting, so that my laptop has a home other than the kitchen table. - I got a new dining room table a...

Blogging

So I have lost the love of blogging. I have always believed it is a narcissistic pass time, yet enjoy it anyway. I have found I easily spend entirely too much time tied to my computer. By the time I check Facebook , e-mail, friends blogs, etc I can easily waste an hour, if not two, of time. A friend of mine just blogged about the same thing. Yes, I get the irony of a blog post about not blog posting, but alas, here it is: I just read a good friends blog about my blog. A great leader here in Boulder, Kevin Colon wrote this: “Hugh moved to Denver to do a training deal for an organization and he ended up starting a church. His blogging is not incredibly frequent but when he does blog….it’s good!” Now, while I’m humbled that a man like Kevin would even want to read my blog, I figured it was a good time to state once and for all why I only post once or twice a month. Simply this……..”I prefer to spend my time with people.” I’ ve always wondered how people have time to read blogs, let alo...

A little help

We have two really cute costumes for Addilyn . Which one should she wear for Halloween ? Let me know because Matt and I can't decide. A Bumble Bee A skunk