Skip to main content

Serendipity

ser·en·dip·i·ty  
/ˌserənˈdipitē/
Noun
The occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way: "a fortunate stroke of serendipity"


My life is lived slowly. It might be because I find myself moving at the pace of a newly walking one year old boy or a incredibly distracted 3 year old girl. It could be by chance but in my most honest moments I must confess that I really like to move slowly. I like to drink my coffee not in a travel mug. I like my kids being able to paint pictures in their jamies until 10:00 am. I like having a clear calendar and nothing expected of us. I don't sign my kids up for stuff, despite the lingering mom guilt, and instead plan trips to museums, lakes, camping, and the library. All on our own time. At our own pace.

The other day I had just put my kids down for some quiet time when there was a knock at the door. I opened it to find a friend of ours who was dropping off some items her husband had purchased for us at my husbands request.We started chatting. Soon she was sitting in my living room pouring out her heart. Newly married, wanting a family, feeling torn about career and finance, we chatted for over an hour while my children napped and my lunch grew cold in the kitchen. I had nothing else planned and she needed a friend right then.

A great friend of mine is about to imbark on a huge adventure. I couldn't be more thrilled for their family. There are a lot of detail she is feeling the pressure to figure out, one of which is to find someone to care for their dog and their house while they are away for 6 months. She told me this the same day another girlfriend told me that her and her husband would love to have a few months to figure out what missional direction God is looking to move their life but it is hard to do while working. Can one friend end up helping out the other? Maybe, this might be Gods nudging, I connected them none the less. 

My life isn't always slow and it looks like the next few months are going to hold a lot of big changes for my family. I love that God will be in that too. I can live in faith that God can speak into my quiet moments and He will still be there when I am running around like a mad woman. He can still use the moments that don't get penciled onto my calendar, which usually are the most meaningful ones. The long phone conversations, the coffee dates and the unexpected dropping in of friends are Gods serendipitous hand in my life and I never want to shrug them off because they are inconvenient or unplanned.

So this is my tribute to the boring, the slow, the monotonous, the unrushed and countercultural choice to slow down. I will let my kids be kids and that means being bored on occasion. I will be still when I could rush. I will let the baby nap in his bed, the children play long drawn out and elaborate games, I will drink my coffee and chat with friends and teach the neighbor kids to play dress up with sarongs. I will let God speak in the slow because when I move quickly I have a hard time listening. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my Domestic Goddess Badge

I looked at the to-do list I made last week and am happy to say I can cross off almost everything on it. It only took me 2 weeks. I think I either need smaller lists or more time. Here is what I have been up to: -I have made 2 loaves of banana oat bread, 1 batch of blackberry strawberry freezer jam, 1 loaf of gluten free bread. -From 12 juiced grapefruit I made grapefruit curd and a pan of grapefruit bars. -My garden is almost completely done, including a upgrade in size. I am growing tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower , herbs, lettuce, spinach , green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. -I hung herbs to dry -I have folded massive amounts of laundry...with more yet to do. All washed with my homemade laundry soap. -I recovered the "green monster" which is another post entirely. -I added a sitting area in my bedroom, where I am currently sitting, so that my laptop has a home other than the kitchen table. - I got a new dining room table a

Birth Story of Jamison Drake Crocker

Not everyone likes to hear how a baby made his way into the world. If you are one of those who just wants to know that baby has arrived and everyone is doing great, then read no further than this paragraph. Jamison Drake Crocker was born at 10:45 on Friday morning, May 18th. He is a big, healthy boy weighing 9lbs and 2oz and is 21.5 inches long. Mama and baby are doing great, sisters are in love and papa is proud. If you are still reading, consider yourself warned. Birth can be messy, and while I have every intention of keeping this non-stomach churning, not all stomachs are made of the same stuff. On Thursday night, Matt had to be in the city for a press event. Around 10:00 I texted and asked him for an ETA and he said he would be home around midnight. I took my very round self and went to bed. I slept fitfully, big and uncomfortable and being woken up by contractions every so often kept me from falling into a deep sleep. At 3:00 am I got up only to find Matt wasn't home. I

Changes

A few years ago, a group of friends and I read a great book called "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck". If you haven't read this book, you are missing out. Its quality. It also came at a time in my life that I really needed the message; you can't care about everything. This book encourages you to figure out your values and use your time in energy in THOSE places, because we can't invest ourselves in every thing, even if they are good things! Its no secret that I was raised in family culture that was heavily evangelical Christian. Anyone who knows me at all knows that I hold that faith system and those who follow it in NO high regard. The last 5 years has confirmed that opinion. Even though I was raised to make Christianity my value set, and it was for many years, I find that I no longer align with those values, people or that style of thinking. I am proud, thrilled, at peace, and excited to be an atheist. My life has never been more on track or full of joy than