Skip to main content

Breakfast with toddlers

At 5:45 I am joined in bed by a small, blond man who insists on putting his cold toes on my warm back. I ignore him until 6:30 when his insistent "Is it wake up time yet?" for the 20 time becomes too much to bare. Stumble downstairs and start a pot of coffee.

J- "Mama, I'm hungry"
M- "Sure buddy, what kind of cereal do you want?"
J- "I don't want cereal, I want eggs"
M- "Ok, scrambled?"
J- "No, dipping ones. With toast"

10 minutes of food prep, with constant commentary and questioning if it was ready yet. Hand him one egg and a piece of toast.

J-"Its hot. Blow it, please?"

Spend 5 minutes of blowing on eggs and toast until toddler thinks it is safe

J- "Toast is icky. I just want the egg."

Sister walks in and asks for cheerios. I pour her a bowl, top with blueberries, she says "thanks" and proceeds to eat.

J- " I want cereal!"
M- " Buddy, you asked for eggs. Mama made you eggs. Eat those first, if you are still hungry you may have cereal"
J- "NOOOO! Eggs are icky. I want O's!"
Sister- "I will eat J's eggs and toast"
M- "Fine, if sister wants your eggs, I will make you cereal"

I get another bowl. Pour cereal and milk, hand it to the tiny dictator.

J- " Blueberries please"
M- "On top or next to?"
J- " On top!"

I walk away to pour a cup of coffee, heaven knows I need it. Turn around to see a blueberries in a puddle of milk on the counter.

M- "Soooo, what cha' do here?
J- " I don't like them in cereal. Please take them out"
M- "For real?!"

Spend 5 minutes scooping blueberries out of bowl of cereal. Two minutes later, Toddler leaves table.

M- "Hey, come eat your cereal!"
J- " No thank you, I'm not really hungry"

I add a shot of whiskey to my coffee. Don't judge me, bro. Spend next 10 minutes scrambling an egg, slicing sharp cheddar, toasting a bagel and cooking a sausage patty. Assemble a delish looking breakfast sandwich. Toddler returns from pestering sisters.

J- "What is that, mama?"
M- "A sandwich, for MY breakfast"
J- " Can I have a little bite, please?"
M- *sigh* " Sure, buddy"

Toddler proceeds to eat enough of my breakfast that I am still hungry, but not so much that I can justify making breakfast number 2. I pour more coffee, with a little more whisky. Count the hours until lunch.



Comments

Sarah said…
This cracked me up . Mommys food is the best food :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my Domestic Goddess Badge

I looked at the to-do list I made last week and am happy to say I can cross off almost everything on it. It only took me 2 weeks. I think I either need smaller lists or more time. Here is what I have been up to: -I have made 2 loaves of banana oat bread, 1 batch of blackberry strawberry freezer jam, 1 loaf of gluten free bread. -From 12 juiced grapefruit I made grapefruit curd and a pan of grapefruit bars. -My garden is almost completely done, including a upgrade in size. I am growing tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower , herbs, lettuce, spinach , green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. -I hung herbs to dry -I have folded massive amounts of laundry...with more yet to do. All washed with my homemade laundry soap. -I recovered the "green monster" which is another post entirely. -I added a sitting area in my bedroom, where I am currently sitting, so that my laptop has a home other than the kitchen table. - I got a new dining room table a

A little help

We have two really cute costumes for Addilyn . Which one should she wear for Halloween ? Let me know because Matt and I can't decide. A Bumble Bee A skunk

Changes

A few years ago, a group of friends and I read a great book called "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck". If you haven't read this book, you are missing out. Its quality. It also came at a time in my life that I really needed the message; you can't care about everything. This book encourages you to figure out your values and use your time in energy in THOSE places, because we can't invest ourselves in every thing, even if they are good things! Its no secret that I was raised in family culture that was heavily evangelical Christian. Anyone who knows me at all knows that I hold that faith system and those who follow it in NO high regard. The last 5 years has confirmed that opinion. Even though I was raised to make Christianity my value set, and it was for many years, I find that I no longer align with those values, people or that style of thinking. I am proud, thrilled, at peace, and excited to be an atheist. My life has never been more on track or full of joy than