Skip to main content

In New York...


...Concrete jungles where dreams are made of..." Feel free to sing along.


Pretty sure when I am gone my girls are equal parts happy to see me return and sad that whom ever was taking care of them has to leave. We are blessed to have such great people in our lives to care for our girls. Thank you Rich and Crystal!


If you hadn't put it together yet, I just got home from a couple of days in New York City. It was a blast, I'm pretty sure I didn't see the back of my eyelids for the night any time before midnight the entire trip. We went to underground clubs, karoking, shopping, out to yummy dinners, to a Broadway show and hung out with friends until all hours. Least you think all I did was play, I had a 12+ hour workday on Monday to earn my keep.


Here are some things I learned on our trip:


-In a city where you do mostly walking/cabs/subway winter SUCKS. Its cold. It is windy. You can either choose cute shoes or practical ones. I have a shortage of practical shoes.


-When they say "City that never sleeps" they are not joking. Dinners start at 9 or later. Clubs don't get hopping until after midnight. Its fun, but for a suburban mother of 3, it is exhausting.


- Being gluten free is a pain in the neck. Surrounded by great food and only being able to eat a small percentage of it is such a bummer. On that note, Dean and Deluca has a fab gluten free chocolate orange muffin.


-I like having independent friends. Kari was with me this trip and it was so much fun! I have done the whole tourist thing in NYC but she hadn't. That brave girl navigated herself all around the big city part of the time, we would meet up, but it just worked out awesome.


-Note to idiot parents: It is not ok to let your 3 small children run around a very busy airport terminal playing tag. It is annoying. To everyone. Congratulations, on behalf of the rest of humanity who is sick of dealing with your undisciplined children, I hear by revoke your right to reproduce. And fly. And be in public until you teach your brats some manors.


The trip was fun but I am so glad to be back home with my girls. Matt flys in today. Poor baby had to stay an extra day so he could go to the Niks game. In the luxury suite. Oh the life we lead.

Comments

Jennifer McHam said…
welcome home you fancy shmancy you!! can't wait to hear all about it!!!
stephaniejwood said…
Ha - I know those kids in the airport....pretty sure anyway...or I've met kids like them....

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my Domestic Goddess Badge

I looked at the to-do list I made last week and am happy to say I can cross off almost everything on it. It only took me 2 weeks. I think I either need smaller lists or more time. Here is what I have been up to: -I have made 2 loaves of banana oat bread, 1 batch of blackberry strawberry freezer jam, 1 loaf of gluten free bread. -From 12 juiced grapefruit I made grapefruit curd and a pan of grapefruit bars. -My garden is almost completely done, including a upgrade in size. I am growing tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower , herbs, lettuce, spinach , green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. -I hung herbs to dry -I have folded massive amounts of laundry...with more yet to do. All washed with my homemade laundry soap. -I recovered the "green monster" which is another post entirely. -I added a sitting area in my bedroom, where I am currently sitting, so that my laptop has a home other than the kitchen table. - I got a new dining room table a

Changes

A few years ago, a group of friends and I read a great book called "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck". If you haven't read this book, you are missing out. Its quality. It also came at a time in my life that I really needed the message; you can't care about everything. This book encourages you to figure out your values and use your time in energy in THOSE places, because we can't invest ourselves in every thing, even if they are good things! Its no secret that I was raised in family culture that was heavily evangelical Christian. Anyone who knows me at all knows that I hold that faith system and those who follow it in NO high regard. The last 5 years has confirmed that opinion. Even though I was raised to make Christianity my value set, and it was for many years, I find that I no longer align with those values, people or that style of thinking. I am proud, thrilled, at peace, and excited to be an atheist. My life has never been more on track or full of joy than

Birth Story of Jamison Drake Crocker

Not everyone likes to hear how a baby made his way into the world. If you are one of those who just wants to know that baby has arrived and everyone is doing great, then read no further than this paragraph. Jamison Drake Crocker was born at 10:45 on Friday morning, May 18th. He is a big, healthy boy weighing 9lbs and 2oz and is 21.5 inches long. Mama and baby are doing great, sisters are in love and papa is proud. If you are still reading, consider yourself warned. Birth can be messy, and while I have every intention of keeping this non-stomach churning, not all stomachs are made of the same stuff. On Thursday night, Matt had to be in the city for a press event. Around 10:00 I texted and asked him for an ETA and he said he would be home around midnight. I took my very round self and went to bed. I slept fitfully, big and uncomfortable and being woken up by contractions every so often kept me from falling into a deep sleep. At 3:00 am I got up only to find Matt wasn't home. I