Skip to main content

Compair and Contrast

Everyone who knows me know I am an extrovert. I generally have no problem making conversation with...whomever happens to be around.This is especially true with people with whom I perceive I have things in common with: young mothers, someone who admires my kids, another extrovert, etc...

Today I was sitting near the back of church. I was by myself (except for Addie, which is why I was in the back). A couple came in and sat in the very back row. Lets just say they were not the typical Adullam demographic (White, middle class, young, churched, suburbanites) I smiled, thought about saying hi, and then the music started so I considered myself off the hook. I could tell you I didn't say hi because I didn't get the chance, or that I had Addie and it just wasn't convenient, or that it just wasn't my job to glad hand visitors. As the music played I started feeling guilty, knowing the reason I hadn't said hi was that they were...different. It would have been out of my comfort zone.

After the music, Hugh encouraged us to say hello to those around us, so I walked over and made conversation with the couple. She was very nice, we chatted about our children (hers are grown and gone) and exchanged "Happy Mothers Day's".

Today Hugh reviewed the sermon on the mount. He talked a little about judging. I think God was directing that at me. Any time we compare ourselves to other, they are being judged by us. They either fall short, like the couple behind me, and we find ourselves better, or we see them to be better than us. Jesus tells us we are to compair ourselves and strive to be like no else but Him. Call it the "mind your own business" clause in the bible. This applies to gossip, too.

So, why is this such a big deal? First of all, we use other peoples lives to distract us from our own. Seeing Britney Spears as a screw up and crappy mom make me feel superior. When I feel better than someone or more Godly, my first instinct is not to love them, which is what I am called to do. Then I talk about it with my friends, which is gossip, and they see how much better we both are than that person.

When people are asked to describe Christian's, the first word that seems to pop up is "judgemental". Wonderful, we are exactly what Jesus told us not to be. So, next time I think about a homosexual, single mother, partying teen, or strange couple in the back row, I will think about grace. I will remember perfection and how short I fall. I will speak truth without judgment or beating someone with doctrine. I will learn to "mind my own".

Comments

Jennifer McHam said…
Great post Gretch. Interesting too - We sang Amazing Grace today and that song is very relevant to your post. Love it.
Jen
Kari said…
excellent post gretch...I think all of us could use that reminder...it's not about any of those surface things, but rather someone's heart that matters. And beyond that - regardless of their heart - we're suppose to love and accept...

that's a tall order!
I always love your honesty and the fact that you just "put it out there".
This subject is always a good reminder for me. I have been convicted lately that if I think I can "fix" someone then that is such HUGE pride and also being judgemental.
Great post, friend!
Love ya,
Jen
Denise said…
1 Corinthians 5:9-13

I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people;

I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world.

But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler--not even to eat with such a one.

For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church?

But those who are outside, God judges.

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my Domestic Goddess Badge

I looked at the to-do list I made last week and am happy to say I can cross off almost everything on it. It only took me 2 weeks. I think I either need smaller lists or more time. Here is what I have been up to: -I have made 2 loaves of banana oat bread, 1 batch of blackberry strawberry freezer jam, 1 loaf of gluten free bread. -From 12 juiced grapefruit I made grapefruit curd and a pan of grapefruit bars. -My garden is almost completely done, including a upgrade in size. I am growing tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower , herbs, lettuce, spinach , green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. -I hung herbs to dry -I have folded massive amounts of laundry...with more yet to do. All washed with my homemade laundry soap. -I recovered the "green monster" which is another post entirely. -I added a sitting area in my bedroom, where I am currently sitting, so that my laptop has a home other than the kitchen table. - I got a new dining room table a

Birth Story of Jamison Drake Crocker

Not everyone likes to hear how a baby made his way into the world. If you are one of those who just wants to know that baby has arrived and everyone is doing great, then read no further than this paragraph. Jamison Drake Crocker was born at 10:45 on Friday morning, May 18th. He is a big, healthy boy weighing 9lbs and 2oz and is 21.5 inches long. Mama and baby are doing great, sisters are in love and papa is proud. If you are still reading, consider yourself warned. Birth can be messy, and while I have every intention of keeping this non-stomach churning, not all stomachs are made of the same stuff. On Thursday night, Matt had to be in the city for a press event. Around 10:00 I texted and asked him for an ETA and he said he would be home around midnight. I took my very round self and went to bed. I slept fitfully, big and uncomfortable and being woken up by contractions every so often kept me from falling into a deep sleep. At 3:00 am I got up only to find Matt wasn't home. I

Changes

A few years ago, a group of friends and I read a great book called "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck". If you haven't read this book, you are missing out. Its quality. It also came at a time in my life that I really needed the message; you can't care about everything. This book encourages you to figure out your values and use your time in energy in THOSE places, because we can't invest ourselves in every thing, even if they are good things! Its no secret that I was raised in family culture that was heavily evangelical Christian. Anyone who knows me at all knows that I hold that faith system and those who follow it in NO high regard. The last 5 years has confirmed that opinion. Even though I was raised to make Christianity my value set, and it was for many years, I find that I no longer align with those values, people or that style of thinking. I am proud, thrilled, at peace, and excited to be an atheist. My life has never been more on track or full of joy than