Our Friday morning bible study is on wisdom, taken straight from Proverbs. This week we talked about friendship. Here is what I learned:
- Friendship is distinctive. Friends and acquaintances are different. It is better to have a few close friends than a whole host of acquaintance who don't know your heart. Friends have your best interest at heart and an acquaintance has common interest. It is the difference of know about someone and truly knowing someone.
- Friendship endures. Even when I don't NEED you as a friend, I want you in my life. I love you when your a pain and when your fun. Friendship makes the choice to love when your unlovable
- A friend provides and asks for "heartfelt council". Influence goes both ways. It is iron sharpening iron.
- Friends are "trustworthy with a wound", they will tell you like it is even when it hurts. A real friend avoids mean spirited barbs and teasing. If there is a problem, it is dealt with and it further cements a real friendship rather than destroying it.
- There is always risk involved. Only those who really know your heart can break it. Gossip is the greatest cause of damage to friendship. You should never tell a secret that would cause a friends loss of dignity.
I love my friends and Cherish the opportunity to draw acquaintances closer. God has blessed this season in my life. I want to always strive to be a good friend, to respect a friends heart and secrets. Lord, guard my tongue, give me courage to open my heart to relationships they may hurt, let me love like Jesus.