Skip to main content

The "D" word

I have a confession. I am 30 years old and up until last week I have NEVER BEEN ON A DIET. Don't be too impressed. Up into my early 20's I weighed almost nothing (thanks Celiac Disease!) but I was also dying a slow death. After diagnosis I put on 25ish pounds and finally looked healthy.Then for the last almost 6 years I have been pregnant or nursing. Just when I would think about trying to lose the baby weight, I would get knocked up again.

The baby making factory is now an entertainment only facility. My youngest is a year old so I have to claim the last few pounds of "baby weight" as just plain fat. In February I am headed to New York with Matt for work and then in March I am going to Miami. I want Matt to feel proud to have me on his arm, I want to look good in clothes and feel confident. It was time to bite the bullet.

When I got home from Las Vegas I decide to really, actually diet. You know, the kind where you actually track what you eat and have a plan. I would say exercise, but I don't do that. I down loaded the app "My Fitness Tracker" and have really liked it. I put in my starting weight (168) and the weight goal (155) my activity level, my height, my age and other important info.

Each day I enter what I have eaten. It may not be one hundred percent accurate because I am eating gluten free, but it is close. If I accidental exercise (like shoveling snow the other morning) I enter that too. It tracks my nutrition information so the focus can be on good health instead of just being skinny.

These are my observations about dieting so far:

-I am more likely to make me myself something tasty when I know I have only x amount of calories per day instead of eating whatever happens to be left on the girls plates or on the counter.

-Cutting out desserts and sweets will never happens so I might as well plan on eating them and work the rest of my meals around that.

-My nutrition numbers look much better when I load up on fruit and veggies and it keeps my calories down.

-Matt is doing the diet too. It is more fun to do with someone else. We encourage each other and it is easy to make low calorie meals when i know he wants them that way too

My jeans are a little looser and I have lost about 5 pounds. So far watching what I eat isn't too painful and I don't really mind doing it. If I am down to my pre-baby weight by NYC I will be thrilled!

Comments

Jennifer McHam said…
Welcome to my own little neurotic world :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kari Marie said…
Whoo-hoo! You'll be one hot mama! We'll show NYC and Miami who's boss!!

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my Domestic Goddess Badge

I looked at the to-do list I made last week and am happy to say I can cross off almost everything on it. It only took me 2 weeks. I think I either need smaller lists or more time. Here is what I have been up to: -I have made 2 loaves of banana oat bread, 1 batch of blackberry strawberry freezer jam, 1 loaf of gluten free bread. -From 12 juiced grapefruit I made grapefruit curd and a pan of grapefruit bars. -My garden is almost completely done, including a upgrade in size. I am growing tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower , herbs, lettuce, spinach , green beans, snap peas, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. -I hung herbs to dry -I have folded massive amounts of laundry...with more yet to do. All washed with my homemade laundry soap. -I recovered the "green monster" which is another post entirely. -I added a sitting area in my bedroom, where I am currently sitting, so that my laptop has a home other than the kitchen table. - I got a new dining room table a...

Blogging

So I have lost the love of blogging. I have always believed it is a narcissistic pass time, yet enjoy it anyway. I have found I easily spend entirely too much time tied to my computer. By the time I check Facebook , e-mail, friends blogs, etc I can easily waste an hour, if not two, of time. A friend of mine just blogged about the same thing. Yes, I get the irony of a blog post about not blog posting, but alas, here it is: I just read a good friends blog about my blog. A great leader here in Boulder, Kevin Colon wrote this: “Hugh moved to Denver to do a training deal for an organization and he ended up starting a church. His blogging is not incredibly frequent but when he does blog….it’s good!” Now, while I’m humbled that a man like Kevin would even want to read my blog, I figured it was a good time to state once and for all why I only post once or twice a month. Simply this……..”I prefer to spend my time with people.” I’ ve always wondered how people have time to read blogs, let alo...

A little help

We have two really cute costumes for Addilyn . Which one should she wear for Halloween ? Let me know because Matt and I can't decide. A Bumble Bee A skunk